Introduction of the Hong Kong International Music Culture Festival (HKIMCF)
The festival aims to promote classical music at younger generations. It is also a precious opportunity to promote career for young music talents. To achieve these goals, the festival will consists of two major components: the first part is organising concerts for professionally trained young musicians; the second part is organising competitions for students at different grades as well as professional musicians. In the end, we hope all participants and their fellows would know more about classical music and enjoy listening to classical music.
The video competition mode is prevalent in the context of the new coronavirus epidemic so that students can still experience the Competition and recording in a brand-new form despite the epidemic. To maintain the tension of the live Competition and maintain the fairness of the video quality, the Association pioneered the method of video recording at designated venues, in conjunction with rigorous and effective epidemic prevention and control measures, so that participants can experience the Competition in a safe and fair condition, and Accumulate performance and recording experience to improve performance.
• The Competition is conducted in the form of video recording. Participants complete the video recording at the designated recording venues
provided by the partners according to the requirements of the Competition. The evaluation committee of the Association will review the video on
the evaluation day.
• The staff of the designated recording venue will use the recording settings recommended by Assocation to record the participants in the venue.
Recording staff will be regarded as a part of the jury in the Competition. The staff will be responsible for offering comments and scoring.
• Participants select the recording day and time when registering through the HKCS online system (simplybook) and record at the reserved time
according to the recording rules. The contestant can choose either recording at a specific session on the recording day or after the contestant’s
• Each contestant has only one 15-minute (level 1-5) or 30-minute (level 6 or above) video recording session at the designated venue. Each
participant has a maximum of two recording opportunities within the time limit (Please refer to the video recording rules for details).
• Each contestant will have a maximum of two performance videos within the time limit.
• Contestants can allocate time within the time limit for warm-up practice or video performance. Contestants who fail to complete the video
within the time limit will adjust their score or be deemed a waiver depending on the situation.
• The video jury will rate the overall performance of the contestants on the day of the video recording (10%)
Introduction of category:
Piano Concerto Group (HK Region Only)
• One movement from any piano concerto in two-piano edition (orchestral reduction).
• Single-movement piano concerto works (such as “Rhapsody in Blue” by Gershwin or “Africa Op.89” by SaintSaëns) are also acceptable.
• The performing time of the movement chosen should not exceed 15 minutes, Candidates can skip Orchestral
Tutti sessions due to time limit.
• Contestants need to arrange and perform with their accompanist at the recording venue and perform as an
ensemble. Individual performances are not accepted. The performance will be scored as a whole.
• This category is only limited to record at HKCS (Causeway Bay) or Octavus Music Company (Tsuen Wan) double
piano venues for video recording.
Piano Duo (Two Pianos)
• One movement (if any) from any piano duos (two piano) composition.
• transcriptions for two pianos are also acceptable (such as the transcriptions of Beethoven’s symphonies for two
• The performing time of the movement chosen should not exceed 10 minutes.
• Contestants perform together at the recording venue as an ensemble. Individual performances are not accepted.
The performance will be scored as a whole.
• This category is only limited to HKCS (Causeway Bay) or Octavus Music Company (Tsuen Wan) two piano
venues for video recording.
Solo Open Class | Graded Class 1-8
• One movement / piece of a solo piano piece of candidates’ own choice (if any).
• The grading of the own choice movement / piece should be similar to the grade registered.
• The performing time of the movement / piece should not exceed 10 minutes.
• This category can be recorded at designated venues in any competition region.
Chopin Mazurka Award
Contestants can only enter one piece
1) Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2 (ABRSM 2021-2022 Grade 6 B1)
2) Mazurka in A minor, Op. 17 No. 4 (ABRSM 2021-2022 Grade 8 B5)
3) Mazurka in D Major, Op. 33 No. 2 (Trinity ATCL)
Professional Judge Panel Award
Chosen by a jury of twelve pianists, including:
Professor James Kirby
Prof. Raymond Young
Prof. Nancy Loo 羅乃新教授
Awards and Music Scholarships
There are champions, runners-up and third runner-ups for each group, as well as commemorative trophies, certificates of merit and scholarships.
Each Mazurka will have 1st, 2nd & 3rd award that
|Piece 1||Piece 2||Piece 3|
|1st place HK$500||1st place HK$1000||1st place HK$1500|
|2nd place HK$400||2nd place HK$750||2nd place HK$1250|
|3rd place HK$300||3rd place HK$500||3rd place HK$1000|
KPHK Members’ Choice Award
To be selected by members of “Kocham Polske HK” from the top 3 contestants of each
• Each contestant will have a 15-minute (level 1-5) or 30-minute (level 6 or above) video recording session at the designated venue of the Association.
• Contestants should arrive at the recording venue 5-10 minutes early, and follow the instructions to wait for the recording judge to arrange the recording.
• The video judge will count down with a timer at the entrance of the contestants. The contestants are free to use the time limit for warm-up audition or tuning purposes. If they can make a recording of a performance, they need to make it clear to the video judge, and the video judge will press the button when they are ready. Record button and signal to start.
• For each video, the video judge presses the record button until the contestant ends the performance, bows or signals to stop and then presses to stop the video.
• If a contestant stops and starts again during the performance, the video judge will immediately stop the contestant, and the video will also be regarded as one time, and the video judge will also record this on the score sheet.
• If a participant’s entourage or accompaniment stops or interferes with the video recording, the video judge will immediately stop the participant, and the video will be regarded as one time, and the video judge will also record the incident on the score.
• The two recordings of performances do not need to be performed in succession. Participants can take a short rest between the two recordings, but they need to pay attention to whether the remaining time can be used for the last recording. If the remaining time is less than the length of the piece, the video judge may refuse to record.
• If the countdown end alarm sounds during the recording, the contestant can continue to play until the end. If the contestant still chooses to use the video for the Competition, the Association will deduct points from the final result of the video.
• Contestants are required to select a video for the Competition immediately after completing the recording
• Those who fail to complete the two performance videos will be disqualified for scoring. Contestants can still choose a video to submit to the Competition, but it will only receive comments and will not be awarded orawarded any awards. The video will not be broadcast in any
Video recording process:
Designated recording venue
Room 1503, 15/F, Progress Commercial Building, 9 Irving Street, Causeway Bay (Grand Piano Recording Venue) Recording Day:16/7 (Sat) , 30/7(Sat)
Room 1304, 13/F, Progress Commercial Building, 9 Irving Street, Causeway Bay (Double Grand Piano Venue) Room 1503, 15/F, Progress Commercial Building, 9 Irving Street, Causeway Bay (Grand Piano Recording Venue) Recording Day:17/7 (Sun) , 31/7(Sun)
HKCS Recording reservation and registration website
Sing Music Academy
Room 901-2, 9/F, On Lok Yuen Building, Des Voeux Road Central, Central Recording Day:17/7 (Sun)
Sing Music Academy Recording reservation and registration website
Room 1201, 12/F, Summit Insurance Building, 789 Nathan Road, Prince Edward Recording Day:30/7 (Sat)
Studio Bravura Recording reservation and registration website
Room 1018, 10/F Nan Fung Centre, 264-298 Castle Peak Road, Tsuen Wan
Double Grand Piano Venue Recording Day:24/7 (Sun)
Grand Piano Recording Venue Recording Day:23/7 (Sat)
Octavus Music Recording reservation and registration website
Jonathan Law Violin Studio
N05, 15/F, W Luxe, On Yiu Steet, Shek Mun Recording Day:31/7 (Sun)
JLVS Recording reservation and registration website
MEC Music Co., Ltd.
Alameda Dr. Carlos d’Assumpção, No.411-417, Edf. Dynasty Plaza, 21 andar H , I Recording Day:31/7 (Sun)
MES Recording reservation and registration website